Thursday, April 23, 2009

Never Assume Malice when Stupidity will Suffice?

Gun control is a known priority of the Obama administration. I've got no problem with the debate; I do have a problem with misinformation used in the debate.

Last month, Hillary Clinton stated that 90% of the guns recovered by the police in Mexico come from the U.S. This was not true. The fact is that 90% of the guns submitted for tracing come from the U.S. Guns from other sources (Mexico’s other borders) rarely have serial numbers or other traceable markings, so there is no reason to submit them. I gave Secretary Clinton the benefit of the doubt and put her mistake in the “stupid” category rather than the “malice” category.


When President Obama repeated the 90% statistic this month: "More than 90 percent of the guns recovered in Mexico come from the United States?" , I’ll call it an outright lie.

By now, the administration has to be aware of the error, unless the administration's management is completely incompetent. So I call this one either malice or extreme stupidity. I’m voting for malice.

No comments:

Post a Comment